So you’re in the market for a new car. Well, by new car, of course I mean new to you. There are millions of used cars sold every year around the world, and you could very well be in the market for one right now. Maybe you have heard from some friends and family members that an auto auction is a great place to start looking for the newest member of your vehicular family. Public auctions may be happening around you and you don’t even know it, but even if you go to one, where would you start?
Okay, so you’re a newbie in the car auction game. How do you know what to look for in that vehicle that caught your eye? Here are a few things that you can look for in that auction car to determine if it has the best used car value for you and your lifestyle:
- Check the bodywork – any vehicles that have been damaged and are in need of repair may have some pretty obvious inconsistencies. Make sure that the spacing on any and all panels of the car is aligned properly and that the paint color around the car is the same.
- Check the glass – no, not just the windows, but check the headlights and taillights too! There’s no point in overlooking such a simple detail like this, just to pay for it later.
- Check the interior – look for any scuffs, rips in the cloth or leather, steering wheel, floors, dashboard, etc…to make sure that everything is in working order.
- Check warning lights – everyone has seen them at some point: check engine lights, maintenance lights, and any of those other lights that pop up on your dashboard.
- Check engine noise – you know what a bad engine sounds like. Shaky, loud, uneven…make sure that you check into all of these.
This is by no means a comprehensive guide on what to look for in the perfect auction car, but it will at least get you started in the proper direction. If you take a smart approach, you can find the right car for the right price and be on your way in your new vehicle!